To the east of the city, another, almost independent, community came into being. Its original focus was a small industrial complex on the river started by David Bemis as a paper mill in 1778. This was the forerunner of other factories that came to the area in the mid-1800s. One, the Nonantum Worsted Company, gave its name to the neighborhood in the 1880s. The original Nonantum had been the village near Newton Corner established for the Indians by the Reverend John Eliot in 1646.